Learning English remotely is the opposite of a traditional classroom setting, students and the English tutor are not in the same room, they can only meet virtually. Material is typically transmitted through technology (email, discussion boards, video conference, etc.) so that no physical presence in the classroom is required.
In spite of some drawbacks, remote English courses are becoming the growing norm. You don’t need to live in an English-speaking country to turn into a fluent English speaker. If you learn English regularly, you don’t even need to leave your home town.
The most common explanation I hear from people for not learning English is the lack of time. Most people work full time and that’s the reason why they don’t have the chance to learn the language. But if you have the right mindset, success is reachable.
Pedagogical Advantages of Learning English Remotely
- You use authentic materials
Reading English textbooks, besides being boring, is not enough. Instead, remote English learning gives you the tools to immerse yourself in the language through English texts or articles written for and by native speakers. It could be challenging at the beginning but it turns into something way more interesting once you master it. Every weeks, we publish in the Study Box, a selection of English articles from the news that are aimed at different levels and centers of interest. You get key vocabulary and questions to help you share your thoughts with your teacher. Look for interesting and updated topics, you will see the difference.
- You get online
You can be in contact with native English teachers online from all over the world. Via Skype or by phone, taking an online English course will help you improve your English and learn about different cultures. It is a pretty interesting and fun experience.
- You listen to real English
It is an excellent idea to practice listening without seeing things written down, just focusing on understanding it and on the right pronunciation. Free conversation is very powerful to improve not only your fluency but also your listening comprehension skills.
Practical Advantages of Learning English Remotely
The most important advantage of remote English learning is that it allows you to fit your learning around your work and home life:
- You can usually set your own pace of study, which doesn’t happen when you’re studying in groups. Everything is personalized!
- It is up to you as to when and where you want study.
- It doesn’t matter where you live – you can obtain an English certificate from anywhere in the world.
- You assure yourself you are getting instructions from a native person.
- A Remote English learning course often costs less.
- Online English courses look great on a resume.
Potential Drawback of Learning English Remotely
As you can see, there are plenty of good reasons to take a remote English course. However, you should keep in mind possible disadvantages:
- The downside is that you won’t enjoy the conviviality part with fellow students on a daily basis.
- Isolation feelings and loneliness. This could be taken care of by being in contact with tutors and taking part in virtual meetings.
Learning English Remotely has gone Mobile
You can also improve your English remotely anytime and anywhere, mobile devices and apps are changing the way to learn English and more and more people are using them to connect to the web.
The Skype App works perfectly on your tablet or smartphone. So, as long as you have access to the Internet, your remote English lessons should be fun! And if you have any Internet issue, there’s nothing to worry, your teacher will call you on the phone at no extra cost.